Sunday, October 07, 2012

New THV Anchor Killed in Vehicle Accident

KTHV Today's THV is heartbroken to announce we have lost one of our own. Matt Turner died in a crash on I-30 Saturday night. State police say his vehicle ran off the interstate and hit a highway sign. 

 Matt joined Today's THV in September, coming to us from television station KNWA in northwest Arkansas, where he spent nine years on the anchor desk. But he's been part of this state his whole life.

 Born and reared in Arkadelphia, Matt played baseball and football for Arkadelphia High School. Being a two-year starter for the Arkadelphia Badgers led him to quarterback for Southern Mississippi, then after one year in Hattiesburg he transferred to his hometown to play starting quarterback for Ouachita Baptist University where he met his wife, Julee. They have a daughter, Preslee Bell, who is 10 months old. 

When Matt joined Today's THV, he said, "My wife and I are coming home and now I'm a part of a television station that I grew up watching. My mom and family will see me covering the Little Rock area and that will be one of the greatest joys of my life. I'm more motivated than ever to serve my fellow Arkansans by providing informative, entertaining and quality news! I'm dedicated to making a positive difference at Today's THV and I can't wait to get started." In his journalism career in Arkansas Matt earned several honors, including the NWA Business Journal's 40 under 40 list.