Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Letter From Anne On Her Retirement

During the Christmas holidays of 2005, my husband, Ralph, and I took a long walk and talked about the future of our family. We were prompted in large part by the fact that my contract at THV was up for renewal. I decided at that time that I would renew my contract at Channel 11 for two more years and then retire. How quickly that time has come.

The eve of my first day as an intern at KTHV was during the summer of 1979. I could not sleep because of my excitement. I had already spent my high school years at another television station in town as an Explorer Scout—a co-ed division of the Boy Scouts--and was certain that my career would be in television news. Then in 1982, armed with a college degree, Robert L. Brown, the President, General Manager and an owner of KTHV, took a leap of faith and gave me my first job.

I consider myself blessed to have been born in Arkansas. I have always loved this state’s breathtaking beauty and her incredible people. Many you have watched me on the news through the years. You have allowed me to make mistakes and helped me grow in my profession. It has been my privilege to share some of your stories with our viewers. My decision to remain in Arkansas was largely because of you and I can never thank you enough for your dedication and friendship.

It has been said that change is both good and inevitable. At this point in my life, I am finding this to be true.

During the course of my career, this industry has gone from using film to tape, to digital technology, to live streaming on the World Wide Web. And I’ve watched this once locally-owned television station become part of Gannett Broadcasting. The members of this THV family have come and gone through the years, each having brought something of value to the table. There is a spirit of genuine caring that prevails here. THVers care about each other, and they care about the people they reach each day. I leave here confident that this tradition will continue, and I feel proud knowing that I was once part of the wonderfully talented team here.

So, as I shift my focus to my family full-time, I look forward to redefining myself. I imagine that, eventually, I will work again. But for the immediate future, I plan on spending less time in front of a mirror, rediscovering the joys of reading for pleasure, and cooking without a microwave. I’ll help my sons with their homework, and may even manage to clean out a few closets. And even though you won’t see me every night, I’ll still be around. Only now, you’ll most likely find me in the grocery store or carpool line, and wearing a lot less makeup.

Thank you all. I will miss you.

Anne