Friday, September 16, 2005

Party Woos KNWA Anchor as Boozman rival

Source: NW Arkansas Times Democrats say they’re hoping to interest Don Elkins, the news anchorman for Fayetteville’s KNWA-TV, in a possible challenge of U.S. Rep. John Boozman in the 2006 election.

Elkins said Thursday that he has "no plans to run for Congress" but he wouldn’t rule it out.

He said he is an independent, not a Democrat, but didn’t turn down the Democratic Party of Arkansas when approached by Chairman Jason Willett. "I’m flattered, and I’ve had more people than I can count on one hand ask me" to run for various offices, Elkins said in a telephone interview. "It’s one of those things I get asked once in a while."

Asked if he’s considering it, Elkins at first wouldn’t say yes or no and would only say that he’s "pretty focused on my work right now." "I don’t know what to say about it. It’s one of those things that can get dicey," he said.

Later, Elkins called back and said, "I have no plans to run for office.... I really am focused on television."

Bart Haynie, a spokesman for the Democratic Party, said Willett had asked Elkins if he’d consider running.

Elkins is one of several people in Northwest Arkansas who’ve been approached about running for different positions, he said. "He obviously wouldn’t be the sole person," Haynie said of potential candidates Willett has spoken with. "We’re considering several other candidates."