Monday, September 26, 2005

Seven is....Infomercials?

This observation from an e-mailer on Sunday afternoon: "I was flipping through the channels this afternoon and discovered that KASN UPN 38 was showing Indy Car Racing from ABC. I flipped to KATV, and they were showing a movie. I just looked at this afternoon's schedule and noticed that KATV's afternoon lineup included infomercials, UCA's Clint Conque Show, and U of A's Houston Nutt Show.

What is up with that? This reminds me of the situtation that occurred several years ago when KASN carried ABC's College Football when KATV carried at the same time the Jefferson Pilot presentation of SEC Football.

I think it was in 1999 when a real debacle occurred when KATV failed to show any of ABC's New Years bowl coverage because KATV and ABC could not come to an agreement. Central Arkansas viewers lost one year of several bowl games that were carried by ABC, and I definitely know viewers complained. KATV could not get special permission to carry just the New Years Bowl games because they would not carry ABC's College Football coverage. Fortunately, a settlement was reached to allow KATV to some type of delay taping to present the ABC College Football Game following JP Sports.

This is not a complaint, but it makes me wonder why they chose to show a movie and infomercials than carry ABC's scheduled sports programming."