Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Shreveport Station Losing Evening Anchor

KTAL/Channel 6/Shreveport is losing its evening anchor.  TV Spy reports Nick LaFave is moving on to WZZM in Grand Rapids,MI  as weeknight anchor.  LaFave came to KTAL August 2011.  

Additional:  LaFave posted this on facebook:

There is nothing more important to my wife and me than family.  Our three years here in Shreveport have been an absolute blessing.  But, we have missed our friends and family far more than we anticipated.  And, during that time, members of both sides of our family have battled some serious health challenges.  Those challenges made the distance much more difficult to bear.  

That distance will now be much less.  I'm happy to announce that I have accepted a position with WZZM, the ABC affiliate in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  Beginning in September, I join Juliet Dragos co-anchoring the 5, 6 and 11pm newscasts.  It's an ubelievable opportunity I've been given to do a job I love around the people I love.  My wife and I simply couldn't say no.

The people of the ArkLaTex and NBC 6 have our unending gratitude.  When KTAL brought me in, my wife and I were somewhat nervous.  Would we fit in?  Would we make friends?  Would you, the viewers, accept me... a kid from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan?  The answer was an absolute 'yes' in all instances.  We've been treated with nothing but kindness from our very first day here.  You've tuned in to watch every night, engaged me on social media every day, stopped me at restaurants and stores to say, 'hi,' and you've tolerated my constant hockey references (which I've REALLY appreciated!).  

To KTAL, I'm so happy to have been a part of the turnaround here.  The viewers recognize the improvements we've made as we've established ourselves as a rock solid, quality product they can depend on night after night.  I'm proud of what we've accomplished and humbled to have been a part of it.  I have every confidence NBC 6 will continue to improve.  The people here are simply too talented for that to not happen.

To the people of Western Michigan, I look forward to getting to know you on a nightly basis.  I'm coming home, and I don't plan on leaving again.

- Nick