Friday, August 17, 2012

Former NWA Anchor Tapped as Evening News Anchor at KTHV

Source: KTHV We are proud to announce Arkansas native Matt Turner is joining the Today's THV News Team as an Evening News Anchor. For the past nine years, he has been a fixture in Northwest Arkansas as primary news anchor for KNWA (NBC) Television in Fayetteville.

Turner is an Arkansan through and through. He was born and raised in Arkadelphia where he played baseball for Arkadelphia High School and was an all-conference pitcher. Being a two-year starter for the Arkadelphia Badgers led him to quarterback for Southern Mississippi, then after one year in Hattiesburg he transferred to his hometown to play starting quarterback for Ouachita Baptist University where he met his wife Julee. He was born and raised in Arkadelphia where his late father was long time pastor of 3rd Street Baptist Church.

Matt grew up watching KTHV and has written articles for the Daily Siftings Herald and also provided sports play by play to radio listeners. Today's THV President and General Manager Michael Caplan stated, "Matt is an Arkansan who brings a wealth of experience, ranging from breaking news and political reporting to firsthand knowledge of Razorback athletic programs."

THV News Director Chuck Maulden added, "Matt adds even more credibility and brings real versatility to our team. Everything in his past has prepared him for this job. He has hosted statewide debates for senate and congressional races, he's covered breaking news, written, shot and produced countless stories as well as documentaries and he knows the newsmakers throughout Arkansas."

Turner takes pride in the many relationships he's built with so many Arkansas sports figures and politicians. He says, "Just days after earning my degree in Mass Communications at OBU, legendary broadcaster and 'Voice of the Razorbacks' Mike Nail offered me a job to cover Arkansas athletics. I was in 'Hog Heaven'. My career became even better with my transition to news."

Turner says the relationships that mean the most to him involve his wife, daughter and family. He is proudest of his 8-month-old daughter Preslee Bell. Turner states, "My wife and I are coming home and now I'm a part of a television station that I grew up watching. My mom and family will see me covering the Little Rock area and that will be one of the greatest joys of my life. I'm more motivated than ever to serve my fellow Arkansans by providing informative, entertaining and quality news! I'm dedicated to making a positive difference at Today's THV and I can't wait to get started."

Matt Turner will make his Little Rock television debut in September.